The Spiritual Challenge of Alcohol and Drugs
We strongly advocate for an awareness of the persuasiveness of alcohol and recreational drugs. We believe it is especially important that as we grow as spiritual beings we bare aware of what we are doing to our bodies and minds with alcohol and drugs. If you're interested in examining the role that alcohol and/or drugs play in your life, we offer the following self-inventory to help you examine how they may be affecting you.
Personal Inventory of Chemical Dependency
This inventory is intended to be a tool to help an individual ascertain whether he/she may have an alcohol or drug problem. It can be used to determine if there may be a need for professional help or treatment. As you read each question, make note of whether your answer to it is yes or no.
The Emotional Potential
- Do you use drugs or alcohol as an escape?
- Is the use of chemicals making your family relationship unhappy?
- Do you make certain you will not run out of your supply?
- Do you ever feel remorse over things you have said or done while under the influence?
- Does it take more for you to get the feeling you want than it once did?
- Do you drink or use drugs?
- Are you concerned or confused about memory lapses caused by chemical use?
- Do you drink or use drugs to bolster your self-confidence?
The Physical Challenge
- Does your use of alcohol or drugs have an effect on your sleeping habits?
- Do you ever drink or use drugs the next morning?
- Do you want to have a drink or use drugs at a specific time of day?
- Has your energy level been affected by your use of chemicals?
- Have you ever gone to the doctor for problems related to your drinking or drug use?
- Do you ever feel the need for a drug or a drink?
- Have you ever had a case of the shakes as a result of chemical use?
- Is drinking or using drugs having any effect on your physical health?
The Mental Potential
- Have you ever had a black out or a period of amnesia (not to be confused with passed out) as a result of drinking or drug use?
- Have you felt the need to cut down on your drinking or use of chemicals?
- Has your efficiency decreased as a result of using chemicals?
- Has your use of chemicals affected your job or your schooling?
- Have you had financial difficulties as a result of drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever lost time from work or school because of your chemical use?
- Has your family or have your friends ever expressed concern about your drinking or use of drugs?
- Have your family responsibilities or home obligations suffered as a result of your use of alcohol or drugs?
The Social Potential
- Do you prefer to associate with those who drink or use drugs?
- Is your use of alcohol or drugs affecting your reputation?
- Have you gotten into a fight or lost a friend as a result of chemical use?
- Do you use alcohol or drugs more than your friends?
- Do you use chemicals to help you relax and relate to other people?
- Have you ever been stopped for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs?
- Do you prefer to drink or use drugs alone as opposed to being a part of a social gathering?
- Do you accept or refuse invitations depending on whether alcohol or drugs will be available?
The Volitional Potential
- Are you unable to stop drinking or using drugs after one or two or when you want to?
- Have you ever felt the need to cut down on your use of chemicals but failed to do so?
- Does drinking or using drugs make you careless of your or your family's welfare?
- Has your ambition decreased as a result of your use of alcohol or drugs?
- Has your perseverance, your responsibility to follow through, or your ability to complete a task been affected by your use of chemicals?
- Do you use chemicals for getting high?
- Do you sometimes drink or use drugs more than you intend to?
- Have any members of your family (grand parents, parents, brothers, sisters, children) ever had a problem with alcohol or drug use?
The Spiritual Potential
- Do you ever feel guilty about your alcohol or drug use?
- Has your use of chemicals had any effect on your feelings of harmony and serenity?
- Do you drink or use drugs to make you feel good? To have fun?
- Has your use of drugs or alcohol affected your ability to care for people, places or things?
- Do you use alcohol or drugs for solace or comfort or to kill emotional pain?
- Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your use of alcohol or drugs?
- Has your drinking or use of drugs affected your enthusiasm for, or interest in, life?
- Does your drinking or using drugs ever result in feelings of loneliness or isolation?
- If you answered yes to at least one question in each category above, you may be demonstrating signs of chemical dependency.
- If you answered yes to at least three questions in each category above, you may be suffering from chemical dependency and be in need of professional help.
For more information, counseling or referrals, we're here for you and encourage you to get in touch with us; just contact the church office.