Gentle Spirit Christian Church
Sunday, May 16, 2021,
Seventh Sunday of Easter
WELCOME AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
FIRST SCRIPTURE LESSON:
Psalm 1 (The MSG)
How well God must like you—
you don’t walk in the ruts of those blind-as-bats,
you don’t stand with the good-for-nothings,
you don’t take your seat among the know-it-alls.
Instead you thrill to God’s Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.
You’re a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.
You’re not at all like the wicked,
who are mere windblown dust—
Without defense in court,
unfit company for innocent people.
God charts the road you take.
The road they take leads to nowhere.
SECOND SCRIPTURE LESSON:
1 John 5:9-13 (The MSG)
If we take human testimony at face value, how much more should we be reassured when God gives testimony as God does here, testifying concerning the Son. Whoever believes in the Son of God inwardly confirms God’s testimony. Whoever refuses to believe in effect calls God a liar, refusing to believe God’s own testimony regarding the Son.
This is the testimony in essence: God gave us eternal life; the life is in the Son. So, whoever has the Son, has life; whoever rejects the Son, rejects life.
My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God’s Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion. And how bold and free we then become in God’s presence, freely asking according to God’s will, sure that God is listening. And if we’re confident that God is listening, we know that what we’ve asked for is as good as ours.
Prayer, Praise and Offering:
TODAY’S MESSAGE: “A Prayer for You” – Pastor Paul John 17:6-19
VS.18 “In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world,
I give them a mission in the world.”
I spelled out your character in detail
To the men and women you gave me.
They were yours in the first place;
Then you gave them to me,
And they have now done what you said.
They know now, beyond the shadow of a doubt,
That everything you gave me is firsthand from you,
For the message you gave me, I gave them;
And they took it, and were convinced
That I came from you.
They believed that you sent me.
I pray for them.
I’m not praying for the God-rejecting world
But for those you gave me,
For they are yours by right.
Everything mine is yours, and yours mine,
And my life is on display in them.
For I’m no longer going to be visible in the world;
They’ll continue in the world
While I return to you.
Holy Creator, guard them as they pursue this life
That you conferred as a gift through me,
So they can be one heart and mind
As we are one heart and mind.
As long as I was with them, I guarded them
In the pursuit of the life you gave through me;
I even posted a lookout.
And not one of them got away,
Except for the rebel bent on destruction
(the exception that proved the rule of Scripture).
Now I’m returning to you.
I’m saying these things in the world’s hearing
So my people can experience
My joy completed in them.
I gave them your word;
The godless world hated them because of it,
Because they didn’t join the world’s ways,
Just as I didn’t join the world’s ways.
I’m not asking that you take them out of the world
But that you guard them from the Evil One.
They are no more defined by the world
Than I am defined by the world.
Make them holy—consecrated—with the truth;
Your word is consecrating truth.
In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world,
I give them a mission in the world.
I’m consecrating myself for their sakes
So they’ll be truth-consecrated in their mission.
OWN YOUR FAITH, DON’T RENT IT
Here are this weeks announcements:
- Church office is open. Cannot just drop by. Must make an appointment. Wearing a mask taking temperature and social distancing will be practiced.
- The Church office will be closed Monday May 17th for water pipe repair and maintenance. Pastor will be taking a mental health day and will not be available till Tuesday morning of the 18th.
- Worship in Candler Park has resumed at 10:30 AM. The Church Without Walls has returned to worship in Candler Park. We are following the current CDC COVID-19 Protocols. Upon arrival, your temperature will be taken. Mask wearing is required. Social distancing is requested. Bring a chair or blanket to sit (not a lot of room at the picnic tables).The Church will provide masks and hand sanitizer. Holy Communion will be offered with individually sealed packets If you do not feel well or have a fever, please stay home
- Bible Study every Monday. 7:30pm Vicar Alyce will be leading the study We will meeting via zoom so watch for an e-mail invitation to join with us. Bible Study this Monday May 17, 2021 I Corinthians Chapter 15-16 has our attention, please mark your schedule, and join us.
- Pastor Paul’s office time Monday-Wednesday 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM The Pastor will be off on Thursday’s. Friday’s will be a study day and Saturdays the Pastor will be available as needed or by appointment. For now, Dana’s office time or church time has changed to Tuesday through Thursday 10 AM till 3 PM. She is available via e-mail or text on Monday’s and Friday’s
- We thank you for going to the church website to take care of your tithe, gifts, donations and offering. Just go to www.gentlespirit.org and click on the donate button and follow the instructions. Or if you are more comfortable with the US mail then send your tithe, gifts, donations and offerings via a check or money order to GSCC 601 West Ponce de Leon Decatur, GA 30030
- Gentle Spirit Christian Church is in search of a keyboard player for Sunday morning services in the park. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact the Church office at 404-604-8124