Gentle Spirit Christian Church
Sunday, August 8, 2021,
Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost
WELCOME AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
FIRST SCRIPTURE LESSON: Psalms 34:1-8 (The MSG)
I bless God every chance I get;
my lungs expand with his praise.
I live and breathe God;
if things aren’t going well, hear this and be happy:
Join me in spreading the news;
together let’s get the word out.
God met me more than halfway,
God freed me from my anxious fears.
Look at the Creator; give God your warmest smile.
Never hide your feelings from God.
When I was desperate, I called out,
and God got me out of a tight spot.
God’s angel sets up a circle
of protection around us while we pray.
Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see—
how good God is.
Blessed are you who run to God.
SECOND SCRIPTURE LESSON: John 35-38, 41-51 (The MSG)
Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don’t really believe me. Every person the Creator gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don’t let go. I came down from heaven not to follow my own agenda but to accomplish the will of the One who sent me.
At this, because he said, “I am the Bread that came down from heaven,” the Jews started arguing over him: “Isn’t this the son of Joseph? Don’t we know his father? Don’t we know his mother? How can he now say, ‘I came down out of heaven’ and expect anyone to believe him?”
Jesus said, “Don’t bicker among yourselves over me. You’re not in charge here. The Creator who sent me is in charge. God draws people to me—that’s the only way you’ll ever come. Only then do I do my work, putting people together, setting them on their feet, ready for the End. This is what the prophets meant when they wrote, ‘And then they will all be personally taught by God.’ Anyone who has spent any time at all listening to the Creator, really listening and therefore learning, comes to me to be taught personally—to see it with his own eyes, hear it with his own ears, from me, since I have it firsthand from the Creator. No one has seen God except the One who has God’s Being alongside the Creator—and you can see me.
“I’m telling you the most solemn and sober truth now: Whoever believes in me has real life, eternal life. I am the Bread of Life. Your ancestors ate the manna bread in the desert and died. But now here is Bread that truly comes down out of heaven. Anyone eating this Bread will not die, ever. I am the Bread—living Bread!—who came down out of heaven. Anyone who eats this Bread will live—and forever! The Bread that I present to the world so that it can eat and live is myself, this flesh-and-blood self.”
Prayer, Praise and Offering:
TODAY’S MESSAGE: “Tinctures of Truth in the Tincture of Time” – Pastor Paul Ephesians 4:17-5:2
VS. 1-2 ”Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.”
What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ’s body we’re all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself.
Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don’t use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don’t stay angry. Don’t go to bed angry. Don’t give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.
Did you use to make ends meet by stealing? Well, no more! Get an honest job so that you can help others who can’t work.
Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.
Don’t grieve God. Don’t break God’s heart. God’s Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for the Creator. Don’t take such a gift for granted.
Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.
Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.
OWN YOUR FAITH, DON’T RENT IT
- Church office is open.
- Worship in Candler Park has resumed at 10:30 AM. The Church Without Walls has returned to worship in Candler Park. We are following the current CDC COVID-19 Protocols. We are resuming our potlucks after service. Please bring a dish to pass in its own serving containers. Social distancing is requested. Bring a chair or blanket to sit (not a lot of room at the picnic tables). The Church has masks for those who want them and plenty of hand sanitizer. Holy Communion will be offered with individually sealed packets If you do not feel well or have a fever, please stay home
- Bible Study is on a Summer break. We will return September 13th which the 2nd Monday of the Month. We will be studying the 1 letter to Timothy.
- Pastor Paul’s office time Monday-Wednesday 10:00 AM till 3:00 PMThe Pastor will be off on Thursday’s. Friday’s will be a study day and Saturdays the Pastor will be available as needed or by appointment. For now, Dana’s office time or church time has changed to Tuesday through Thursday 10 AM till 3 PM. She is available via e-mail or text on Monday’s and Friday’s
- We thank you for going to the church website to take care of your tithe, gifts, donations and offering. Just go to gentlespirit.org and click on the donate button and follow the instructions. Or if you are more comfortable with the US mail then send your tithe, gifts, donations and offerings via a check or money order to GSCC 601 West Ponce de Leon Decatur, GA 30030
- Gentle Spirit Christian Church is in search of a keyboard player for Sunday morning services in the park. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact the Church office at 404-604-8124