Gentle Spirit Christian Church
Sunday, October 9, 2022,
Eighteenth Sunday in Pentecost
As you prepare to worship pray for those taking part in leadership roles and for a blessing to be upon those who sit next to you. Ask God, as well, to help you to worship in "spirit and in truth" and to speak a special word to you or touch you in some way. What we ask for and expect in faith almost always will be what happens!
WORDS OF WELCOME AND CALL TO WORSHIP (based on Psalm 111:1-8)
L The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
P And also with you.
L I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart.
P In the company of the upright, in the congregation, I will praise the Lord's name.
L Great are the works of the Lord. They are full of honor and majesty. They are studied by all who delight in the Lord.
P God's righteousness endures forever. The works of God’s hands are faithful and just. All the precepts are trustworthy.
ALL They are established for all time and are to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
Almighty God, source of every blessing, your generous goodness comes to us anew every day and the hand of Your loving kindness powerfully, yet gently guides all the moments of our life. As we render you the worship you so greatly deserve this morning, we pray that your Spirit will lead us to acknowledge Your goodness, give thanks for Your benefits, and serve you in willing obedience. Indeed, be with us and help us to rejoice in your presence and to be the people you created us to be - through Your Son, Jesus Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen
WELCOME AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
FIRST SCRIPTURE LESSON: Psalm 111 (The MSG)
I give thanks to God with everything I’ve got—
Wherever good people gather, and in the congregation.
God’s works are so great, worth
A lifetime of study—endless enjoyment!
Splendor and beauty mark his craft;
God’s generosity never gives out.
The Creator’s miracles are the memorial—
This God of Grace, this God of Love.
God gave food to those who fear the Almighty,
God remembered to keep the ancient promise.
God proved to the people that God could do what God said:
Hand them the nations on a platter—a gift!
The Creator manufactures truth and justice;
All the products are guaranteed to last—
Never out-of-date, never obsolete, rust-proof.
All that the Almighty makes and does is honest and true:
God paid the ransom for the people,
The Creator ordered this Covenant kept forever.
God is so personal and holy, worthy of our respect.
The good life begins in the fear of God—
Do that and you’ll know the blessing of God.
God’s Hallelujah lasts forever!
SECOND SCRIPTURE LESSON: 2 Timothy 2:8-18(MSG)
Fix this picture firmly in your mind: Jesus, descended from the line of David, raised from the dead. It’s what you’ve heard from me all along. It’s what I’m sitting in jail for right now—but God’s Word isn’t in jail! That’s why I stick it out here—so that everyone God calls will get in on the salvation of Christ in all its glory. This is a sure thing:
If we die with him, we’ll live with him;
If we stick it out with him, we’ll rule with him;
If we turn our backs on him, he’ll turn his back on us;
If we give up on him, he does not give up—
for there’s no way he can be false to himself.
Repeat these basic essentials over and over to God’s people. Warn them before God against pious nitpicking, which chips away at the faith. It just wears everyone out. Concentrate on doing your best for God, work you won’t be ashamed of, laying out the truth plain and simple. Stay clear of pious talk that is only talk. Words are not mere words, you know. If they’re not backed by a godly life, they accumulate as poison in the soul. Hymenaeus and Philetus are examples, throwing believers off stride and missing the truth by a mile by saying the resurrection is over and done with.
Prayer, Praise and Offering:
TODAY'S MESSAGE: “Being Humble=Being Thankful” –Pastor Paul Luke 17:11-19(MSG)
Sermon Verse VS 16 “He kneeled at Jesus’ feet, so grateful. He couldn’t thank him enough—and he was a Samaritan.”
It happened that as he made his way toward Jerusalem, he crossed over the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he entered a village, ten men, all lepers, met him. They kept their distance but raised their voices, calling out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”
Taking a good look at them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.”
They went, and while still on their way, became clean. One of them, when he realized that he was healed, turned around and came back, shouting his gratitude, glorifying God. He kneeled at Jesus’ feet, so grateful. He couldn’t thank him enough—and he was a Samaritan.
Jesus said, “Were not ten healed? Where are the nine? Can none be found to come back and give glory to God except this outsider?” Then he said to him, “Get up. On your way. Your faith has healed and saved you.”
OWN YOUR FAITH, DON’T RENT IT
- Church office is open. In-person appointments available. Call the church. Dana will set up an in-person meetings or you have the option of Zoom or Facebook Messenger.
- Worship in Candler Park will continue to be live streamed via Facebook messenger each Sunday morning at 10:30 AM.
- Bible Study meeting TOMORROW Monday, October 10, 2022, at 7:30 PM on Zoom. We will be studying the book of Leviticus, Chapters 11-15. https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3833663154?pwd=K2hsWHdjRi80ZkF4L3daTEtRcTVUdz09
- Pastor Paul’s office time Monday-Wednesday 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM The Pastor will be off on Thursday’s. Friday’s will be a study day and Saturdays the Pastor will be available as needed or by appointment. For now, Dana’s office time or church time is Tuesday through Thursday 10 AM till 3 PM. She is available via e-mail or text on Monday’s and Friday’s.
- We thank you for going to the church website to take care of your tithe, gifts, donations and offering. Just go to gentlespirit.org and click on the donate button and follow the instructions. Or if you are more comfortable with the US mail then send your tithe, gifts, donations and offerings via a check or money order to GSCC 601 West Ponce de Leon Decatur, GA 30030
- We are looking for a person to coordinate our Hygiene Kit Ministry, if you can help please contact Pastor Paul 404-604-8124.
- March 15, 2023, Gentle Spirit Christian Church will be 25 years old! Stay tunes for celebration announcements.
- Gentle Spirit Christian Church is in search of a musician for Sunday morning services in the park. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact the Church office at 404-604-8124